In February of 1875, six Dutch families arrived in Portland, Oregon from De Pere,
Wisconsin. These six families were among those who established a small Catholic
Colony near Forest Grove, Oregon in the early spring of 1875. The colony was later
named "Verboort," in honor of Reverend William Augustine Verboort who
joined the colony in September of the same year.
Johannes (John) Verboort and his wife Theodora de Rayt, with their oldest son Johannes
(John) Verboort (junior). Reverend William Augustine Verboort was one of Johannes
and Theodoras sons.
Albertus (Albert) Verboort and his wife Antonetta Jansen. Albertus and Antonetta
were accompanied by their 2 children.
John (Adrian) van der Velden and his wife Angeline Kuene. They had 1 child (Anna).
Krieger, who was accomanied by his wife (Mary Martin) and their 3 children. Marys
father, Peter, also arrived with them...as did Anthonys brother, John).
Hermens and his wife Theodora Verboort, as well as their 5 children.
Jansen, a widow, who was traveling with her son (Peter) and his wife (Johanna Hendricks).